Sunday, July 17, 2011

Can you beat the heat?

This is the stuff legends are made of. This is what separates the boys from the men. The survival of the fittest, natural selection. This is my Everest. This... is... the hottest week of the summer being 38/39 weeks pregnant. You dare to read on?

Don't give me this "stuck on desert island being filmed for Survivor" stuff. This is real life. I am about to attempt to make it through a week where the temperatures are set to reach the 90's with dew points in the 80's. This makes the heat index well into the 100's. As I tweeted earlier, I think I saw a fish swimming past our front door.

Heat like this normally would only be a small challenge for me. Back in the day, I worked outside all summer long. I loved it. The heat didn't bother me. In fact, going into AC would almost be too cold for me to handle. I miss those days. Now, I sit on the couch with a heat producing toddler asleep upstairs and a little furnace inside of me, not letting me know when he'll come out.

Those of you fellow parents know that little boys like to spend time outside, and parents like their boys to spend time outside. They play better, they sleep better, and everyone is happier. So how am I going to explain to a two year old that although the sun is shining, we can not go outside? I could just send him out to discover for himself but he does not hold the logical capability to come back in when he starts to get too warm. This is why there are parents in the world.

Now lets not forget about the fact that I resemble a beached whale more than a human being these days. I do my best to stay up and active but my little furnace keeps forcing me down. Normally I would fight my way back up but my swollen feet and hands have me wishing for more time to lay down. My poor sandals are wondering why I keep forcing my large feet to fit into their straps. They may not survive through the summer.

Well, tomorrow starts the war. We'll see how the battle of Monday goes. Will the heat win? Will I win against my boy? Will the television and Sesame Street win? Will baby #2 surprise us all and win? It'll be a tough one. I'll need lots of different strategy to pull this one off, and then I'll regroup and see what I have left for the battle of Tuesday. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment