Thursday, July 7, 2011

I have an itch

I caught the bug. No, no the black spider that lives in our basement. I caught a much more dangerous bug. The home decorating and improvement bug. (insert high pitch scream) It hit me and it hit me hard.

Blame this bug on the fact that I may be "nesting" as they put it. I feel the need to clean, organize, and decorate everything in our house. Not that I am, mind you, I just feel the need to. Blame the fact that I have always loved to decorate and organize my room/house. Blame the fact that it drives me crazy when our house is a mess. I don't know, but I do know that I want to take a shopping trip to Menards and Hobby Lobby to cure this disease.

Sadly, the cure for this disease involves two things that I am short on. Time and money. I feel like I could get a lot done right now but soon my world will be turned upside down for a while. Although, I'm feeling optimistic today and I want to say that even with baby #2 on the way I could still do some small projects after I recover from delivery and everything. So although time will be a challenge I don't see it as a complete road block.

So now about the money. Shoot. I would LOVE to go on a shopping spree and buy an actual matching bedroom set for us or beautiful paintings to put on our large white walls. I would even be thrifty to find a nice patio set for our deck but even thrifty shopping requires some money. We're not broke or living in poverty but our current budget doesn't exactly have the flexibility that I am dreaming of for this sort of shopping spree. Getting another job is way out of the question at the moment. My #1 job is raising my children right now. That's worth way more than a nicely decorated house.

So what can I do? How will I ever be cured of this bug? Thankfully, I have a medicine that takes longer to act but is just as effective as the real thing. Growing up, I watched my mom "suffer" with the same disease. She, however, learned to work with what she had. She became and still is very good at rearranging the same thing six times before she finds the PERFECT way it should be. She is good at using things that are free from nature to decorate. Not even Martha Stewart could arrange a vase of sticks to make it look the way my mom does. Then, slowly over time, she would accumulate new things as the money came in. Now, their house is beautiful and she doesn't have little kids anymore to destroy it :)

So I too shall take this medicine. I will work with what I have. I will be on the look out for things that are free or super cheap. I will take my time to make things the exact way I want. Perhaps, by the time my children are old enough to know not to put that picture frame in their mouth, my house will look like a picture from a magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment