Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stop looking ahead

Do you live in the moment? You see those people in movies. The ones who only care about the here and now and live out each day to it's fullest. Are they some sort of legend or is it really possible? Can you only live in the moment you are in and not care about the future or the past? I can't, but perhaps I should try.

I know for a fact that I do not live in the moment. I have always been someone who looks ahead for reason to continue. I figure the grass will always be greener once I get there. Examples? I couldn't wait to finish school. I figured that once I finished school life couldn't be greater. Well, life is good but looking back I now realize that school wasn't so bad either. How about a simpler example? What forced me off the couch from an afternoon nap? The promise of a bowl of ice cream. Once I had that ice cream, I would be fully awake and ready to conquer the world! Well, bowl of ice cream eaten but I only feel slightly more awake and a little guilty for eating ice cream.

Where is my focus now instead of the present time? I can't wait to be done with this pregnancy. I can't wait for my son to be potty trained. I can't wait for my kids to be old enough for me to have a little more independence in my life. I can't wait to lose weight. I can't wait to have bills paid off. Etc, etc, etc...

What's so bad about all of that? Those are nice things to look forward to. While, yes they are nice to look forward to, they are also causing me to wish my present day away.

We tend to believe that life can always get better. That's a nice thought. No matter how bad life is right now, somehow I can make it better because I'm worth it. Right? Sorry. Sometimes situations are just out of our hands and if we keep waiting for the greener grass to come we might miss the wonderful things in our life right now. An example, last night I got no sleep and neither did my son. I wished this day away before it even began. I was expecting a horrible, crabby, and pulling-out-hair kind of day. Well, it hasn't been all roses but there have been some wonderful little moments, some good giggles and smiles hidden among the cries and whines of today. 

Well, this might not be enough of an argument to change all of your minds. I understand. I haven't changed my own yet 100%. However, my goal for the rest of today is to really really try to appreciate everything that is given me by today. Maybe, in the future, I'll look back and realize that I was standing on some pretty green grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment